Monday, July 14, 2008

A big mouth for Boccato










If you’ve ever dreamed of owning your own business, let the owners of Boccato in Clarendon be your inspiration. Co-owners Rob and his Peruvian friend (who, you’ll have to excuse me because I never learned the name of) are bursting with passion, and you can feel their excitement the minute you walk in the door. Rob’s enthusiasm can be seen in the twinkle of his eyes as he describes the way he plans to make coffee, the many teas they will have to offer, and of the way his Peruvian friend makes the gelatos and sorbetos they have available.
Mr. Peruvian friend's enthusiasm was immediately evident when I tried his creations. The gelatos and sorbetos he made were perfect: he combined unique ingredients, nothing was too sweet, and the flavors were true to the ingredients that made them. My favorite sorbetos were the pink cilantro and the Chilean peach. Both were a perfect contrast to the hot, sticky day it was in Northern VA last Saturday. As for the gelatos, the tiramisu and cake batter were great, despite the latter not being a traditional flavor, and leaving me perplexed as to how they created that taste. And while I was there, I overheard another customer asking for a very specific flavor that he ‘had to have’. They'd run out, so the customer decided to come back later in the day when they would have more. -That’s flavor devotion, if I’ve ever seen it.
I will definitely go back with my big mouth wide open to taste more gelatos, and also to soak up more inspiration for opening my very own ice cream shop one day.

No comments: